My setup is a fairly standard one:
13″ 2013 MacBook Air, which is occasionally, although more often than not, plugged in to a 27″ Thunderbolt Display.
I “upgraded” to Yosemite last night.
Booted my machine, everything seemed fine. I was downstairs at the time, no Thunderbolt display connected.
This morning, plug in to the TB display, and disaster… Blacked out.
Machine restarts saying it restarted because of a problem. One off I thought….
Then, a few seconds later, same thing.
I unplugged the TB display, and it booted fine.
Plugged the TB display back in, it crashed again. I could replicate and reproduce this every time.
Secondly, if the TB display was left plugged in, then boot the machine, the problem would happen, and it would get stuck in a cycle of booting, crashing, and restarting itself.
It amazes me that Skype chat history is only stored on your local machine
It’s just a simple sqlLite db file, located (on a mac at least) in
Recently, I started fresh on my mac – fresh install of Mavericks, and re-installed all my apps
I had a TimeMachine backup anyway, in case I needed to either roll back, or get anything back –
And lucky I did.
While searching for a >6 month old Skype chat, I realised that the history had been totally wiped out.
Luckily, I came across Skyperious – http://suurjaak.github.io/Skyperious/
A handy little utility for viewing (and importantly in my case, merging) Skype DB files
I used TimeMachine to grab the latest (pre-wipe) version of my /Users/alex/Library/Application Support/Skype/alexjamesbrown/main.db file (which happened to be >30mb)
I then copied this to my desktop, calling it skypeold.db
Also, I copied my current main.db to desktop, calling it skypenew.db
Once these were in place, I used my Parallels VM (which I share home folders with) to install Skyperious – the setup steps for mac are numerous, where as there is a handy installer for Windows.
I browsed to the desktop, selected the skypeold.db, and merged with skypenew.db
This took a couple of seconds to merge, but when it was done, I renamed to main.db and overwrote the original file in /Users/alex/Library/Application Support/Skype/alexjamesbrown/
Signing back into Skype, all my old history is back
A couple of weeks ago, for a number of reasons, I had polluted my working copy so much, i decided it would be easier to simply blow my cloned repository folder away, and re-clone.
So, I deleted the folder, and made a fresh checkout to the same place.
Today, I was about to resume work on a feature I’d started; you guessed it, around 2 weeks ago.
It was on a separate branch – a branch, which had been lost when I deleted the folder containing my git checkout.
Naturally, I had not pushed this branch.
Uh oh, I thought.. but not for long.
I use my Dropbox folder as my main folder for nearly all my files on my machine – projects, docs, photos etc…
As I’m sure you know, Dropbox allows you to restore previous version of a file to a previous revision (or undelete)
The only trouble is, you can’t do this on a directory level.
I found this project on github – https://github.com/clark800/dropbox-restore
This enables you (via the simple command line interface) to restore an entire directory within your dropbox folder to a previous date.
Using this, I was able to roll back my entire folder containing my git repository to a point in time – before I’d deleted it.
Sure, I could have done this with reflog – but that wouldn’t have helped if I hadn’t committed changes!
Once I’d used the script to roll back, my working directory was as it was prior to me deleting it – some files staged, some not!
I recently wanted to download around 20,000 emails from a specific label in my gmail account.
To do this, I used GMVault.
I’m not going to talk through the basics of setup / using this as it’s already talked about at length on the GMVault site.
However, in order to get it to download only the mails in a specific label, you will need to do a custom sync.
The command I used was this:
gmvault sync –type custom –gmail-req “in:LabelNameGoesHere” [email protected]
This worked fine, however all files were compressed.
To solve that, we can simply add —no–compression like so:
gmvault sync –type custom –gmail-req “in:LabelNameGoesHere” [email protected] –no-compression
Now, all emails are downloaded as .eml files from the LabelNameGoesHere label
I recently upgraded my copy of Parallels desktop from version 7 to version 8.
As soon as I had done, I noticed the supposed “improved multi-monitor support” wasn’t all it was cracked up to be.
If I had a window open, and dragged it to the other monitor (either from external to macbook, or vice versa) it snapped back!
Parallels have now released a hot fix which fixes this issue.
It would have been nice if they’d tested this before releasing in the first place however…
As per their support site, follow these instructions:
Parallels Desktop Check for Updates..