I’m on the verge of being able to release a second, much improved version of the Joe Blogs WordPress & MetaWeblog API Wrapper.
Some very brief details below, and a cry for help (or several cries!)
New Features / Improvements
Instead of having to deal with the XML-RPC interfaces directly, I’ve added a “friendly” layer of classes on top.
The WordPressWrapper class has helper methods, with friendly properties, for doing things like uploading files etc…
- More examples
The sample project (console application) included in the project demonstrates all methods and features of the library.
- Better documentation
XML RPC Comments on all the public properties and methods
I need help with some of the following, both for this version, and subsequent versions
- PHP WordPress Re-install script
Script (configured as CRON job) to “refresh” test install of WordPress (every couple of hours or something)
- Unit Tests
Need better code coverage., and more integration tests
I’m not TDD expert, so unfortunately, a lot of this will be retro-fitting unit tests into the current code.
- WordPress Plugin development
I plan to release an “extended” version of XML RPC – with some enhanced methods in, for use with JoeBlogs – for example “GetRecentPosts”
- ASP.Net Demo Project
Eventually, and ASP.net MVC “blog” project, running from WordPress – for no other reason than “it can be done”
- Moving project to GitHub
- General code improvement
Refactoring, performance enhancements, etc…
- Logo Designed
‘cos every cool open source project has to have a cool logo, right?
I’ve dipped my hand into my pocket, and bought joeblogswrapper.org (under £7 – GoDaddy)
Will have a site dedicated to it on there soon. Obvious CMS choice would be WordPress, but if anyone can think of a better option for Wiki style pages, I’m all ears
(Media wiki..? What are the benefits?)
I’ve created a Google Group – http://groups.google.com/group/joeblogs/
Please, sign up on there for announcements (I’ll announce when the next versions of the wrapper are available)
I really like the idea of moving this project over to GitHub.
Problem is, I have absolutely no experience using Git.
I’ve tried following the instructions, and got as far as some files imported into my repository.. but I can’t get it to work, or commit my changes.
If anyone would like to offer their hand-holding expertise on getting this moved over (and training me on committing files etc…) then I’ll gladly move it to GitHub, which long term, I believe could be beneficial to the overall development of the project.